Understanding the past to build the present and the future: with this goal in mind we have created the business history program for the Suzano Group.


We believe that history is one of the most valuable assets a business organization can have. It outlines the basis of the organizational culture and its identity – the very DNA that is passed down from one generation to the next.

With that in mind, we created the Suzano Legacy and Documentation Center (CDM) in 2002. The CDM is responsible for registering the present and managing the history of the Group – not only to preserve it, but most of all to turn it into a source of knowledge and inspiration for current and future projects and initiatives.

CDM gathers, organizes and makes available historical collections about our businesses throughout all phases of development, involving aspects of our institutional, technical, administrative and marketing evolution.


The Suzano Group traces its beginnings back to a commercial enterprise owned by Leon Feffer. Born in 1902, in the Ukrainian city of Kolki, Leon immigrated to Brazil in 1921 and begins to work in the sale of paper.


Leon Feffer

Leon Feffer

Born in Kolki, Ukraine, in November of 1902, Leon Feffer immigrated to Brazil in 1920 with his mother, brother and two sisters. At the time the Brazilian economy was dependent on coffee and the industrial sector was still incipient—almost all industrialized products sold in Brazil came from abroad.

Leon saw this potential and established himself as a merchant in São Paulo, selling different types of goods – including paper. In the 1920s and 1930s, he consolidated his position in commerce and expanded his activities, opening a typography office and a small envelope factory, in addition to maintaining his own store. In 1939 Leon decided to sell everything, even the family home, to raise capital and assemble his own paper factory. The plant was installed in the Ipiranga neighborhood, and gave rise to the Suzano Group.

Leon Feffer also dedicated himself to various community activities, at institutions such as the Israel Cultural Center, Israelite Federation of the State of São Paulo, Hospital Albert Einstein and others. He was one of the founders of the Hebraica Athletics Association. From 1956 to 1981, he served as consul for Israel in São Paulo.

Starting in the 1970s, Leon Feffer oversaw the transition of the leadership of Suzano Group to his son Max, who conducted a lengthy and successful expansion into paper and cellulose, packaging and petrochemicals.

Leon Feffer passed away in 1999. In addition to leaving his mark on the history of the pulp and paper industry in Brazil, he was also an excellent example of an entrepreneur that combined business success with consistent social practices.

Max Feffer

Max Feffer

Max Feffer, son of Leon and Antonietta Feffer, was born in São Paulo in 1926. From a very young age he started working with his father to expand the Suzano Group. In the 1950s, Max led a team of scientists that developed alternatives to pines in the production of pulp. Satisfactory results were obtained with eucalyptus, which ultimately revolutionized the manufacturing of paper in Brazil and around the world. In 1958 the first batches of paper using this fiber were manufactured. A few years later, Brazil had moved from importer to exporter of pulp.

A professional with great strategic vision, Max Feffer was also responsible for diversifying and consolidating the Suzano Group with investments in the petrochemical sector and in the professionalization of management.

Max held a close relationship with the arts, especially music. His constant presence in the São Paulo cultural scene led him to serve as Secretary of Culture, Science and Technology for the state of São Paulo, from 1976 to 1979. Throughout this period he spearheaded important initiatives, including the Jazz Festival and the Winter Festival of Campos do Jordão.

Max was one of those responsible for creating the Ecofuturo Institute in 1999 – an NGO maintained by the Suzano Group with the goal of promoting sustainable development.

Max Feffer passed away prematurely in 2001, at the age of 74.

David Feffer

David Feffer

Born in November 1956, David is the eldest of Max and Betty Feffer’s four sons. From a young age he has been involved with the family businesses: he frequently visited the factory with his father and his grandfather, witnessing their conversations about the future of the industry and experiencing Suzano firsthand.

Shortly after turning 18, while still at university, David effectively began to work at the company. He started out in the shipping department, and slowly made his way through other departments, acquiring knowledge and field experience before becoming a director in the mid-1990s.

David took over as president of the Suzano Group in 2001 and increased the pace of the business. He set up the right conditions for sound and sustained growth: the creation of Suzano Holding, the restructuring of Suzano Petroquímica and level II stock offering, the professionalization of the companies and adoption of strict corporate governance criteria, building and inaugurating a new pulp unit in Mucuri, selling Suzano Petroquímica and focusing on the pulp and paper industry – which led to the building of the Imperatriz Unit, in the state of Maranhão, among other important developments.

David studied business administration at Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie and took specialization courses at Columbia University, Harvard Business School and The Aspen Institute (USA) and IMD (Switzerland).

In addition to serving as chief executive of Suzano Holding and chairman of the board of directors for Suzano Pulp and Paper, David is also a member of the international advisory board for LafargeHolcim. He also participates in several social and cultural institutions: he is chairman of the curator council at the ARYMAX Philanthropic Foundation; chairman of the board of directors at Escola Alef Peretz and vice-chairman of the board of directors at the Ecofuturo Institute.